Sunday, July 29, 2007

Medium Format Digital: First Impressions

Beaver Lake
(Mamiya 645AFDII, 35mm, P30 Digital Back)

Taking digital landscape photographs in the middle of a sunny day is difficult to pull off. Since the sun is directly overhead it has a tendency to flatten the image. In addition to that, the range of light from the shadows to the highlights is wider than the sensor is capable of recording. To compensate for this you usually have to use special techniques which involve combining two or more different exposures. For example, on July 14th I posted a photograph of Beaver Lake which was created by combining three different exposures.

The sky was filled with puffy clouds and I wanted to take a picture of a spot Dave and I found riding our motorcycles yesterday. I was also dying to try out my new Phase One digital back and medium format camera which arrived this week. I just assumed I would have to create an HDR photograph using multiple exposures.

The sensor in the digital back has almost 3 times the detail but I was pleasantly surprised to discover out it also had enough dynamic range to photograph the scene without having to do an HDR composite. It nailed the exposure with zero tweaks to the exposure.

Very Cool!

Update: I posted a little more detail on this shot in the Luminous Landscape forum.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ed Cooley,

Love the image, P30 delivers so much details, it is just amazing.

How often does one get clouds,etc. in 3D? However, on your image even though it's small "for the obvious reasons" 3D is so apparent and well spread.

Screams
Q u a l i t y

!!!AWESOME!!!

Regards
Caracalla

Ed and Faith Cooley said...

Thank you.

You must be in advertising! :)